*****SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION*****

I am working on updating the blog...design, colors, layout, gadgets and more. Please bear with me as I do this. Check often to see the updates! Thanks, Jen :)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

March for Babies

April 27, 2007 was "suppose" to be a changing day in our lives that we had waited for...unfortunately that changing day came 10 weeks early (we knew they would be early but not THAT early). February 15, 2007 about 9pm when I was wheeled to labor & delivery began a whirlwind of events and worries that are still very vivid in my memory. We had not even toured the NICU yet or even meet with the Neonatalogist or Anesthesiologist. My Perinatologist was not even on call that night. We were "suppose" to have enough time to do these things yet. But it was not meant to be...my body had other ideas.
On February 16, 2007 our three miracles entered this world via emergency c-section - Alexander weighed 3#5oz, Elizabeth weighed 2#15oz and Zach weighed 2#10oz. This day was not only a changing day for us but the beginning of their fight in the outside world. I could no longer protect them.
I was not able to hold my babies, I barely got to see them before they were whisked away to the NICU. It was roughly 4 hours before I would be able to officially meet my children. They were in isolettes...there were monitors everywhere....there were lines, tubes, wires running everywhere and the noises - something that I will never forget. There is good reason why they want you to tour it before delivery...it is a LOT to take in.
In the following 68 days we would make daily trips to the NICU, learn a new language, build relationships, learn things many things, worry about every time the phone rang and learn about the challenges the kids faced.
April 24, 2007 we came home from the NICU as a family. Although we had a mostly uneventful stay, it is not something I would want to repeat and would not wish upon anyone. Thanks to the many doctors and nurses for the care they provided in the NICU. It did not end there though. We still had things to do after being home like a monitor, weekly nurses visits, medications and some effects from being born premature. Although the road has been long, the kids are doing great!
We were introduced to the March of Dimes because of the kids' prematurity. Their goal is to end prematurity. This year we are participating in the March for Babies to help give back. In less than a week we are walking in honor of our children and for all the other babies that enter this world too early. We need your help. $1 is all it takes to make a difference; $1 is all it takes to give all babies a chance to have a healthy start to life. If you want help and donate just click on the March for Babies widget to the right of this post. If you want to help but cannot donate at this time, please pass the blog address to your friends. If you are in this area and want to join us on the walk just let me know.
We (kids included) thank you for your support!
Love, Jen

No comments: